Connect with us

Feyenoord

Wirtz Says Salah’s Post Was ‘Honest’ as Liverpool Aim to Finish Strong

Florian Wirtz said: “Mo has known the club for a long time now,” and defended Salah’s post and more.

Published

on

Florian Wirtz moved to calm a growing story around Mohamed Salah’s social media criticism of Liverpool’s style by explaining why he and several teammates felt comfortable publicly supporting the post. His remarks underline a dressing-room view at odds with how the episode was played up outside the club.

Salah wrote: “I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies,” Salah wrote. “That is the football I know how to play and that is the identity that needs to be recovered and kept for good. It cannot be negotiable and everyone that joins this club should adapt to it.”

Slot declined to comment on the post and would not confirm whether Salah would be involved in the season finale against Brentford on Sunday. Wirtz, though, offered a softer reading.

“Mo has known the club for a long time now,” Wirtz told The Athletic. “He’s just an honest guy. He says what he thinks. This should be O.K. If you want to speak, you should be able to speak. Of course, it was a bit of a difficult season for all of us, including Mo. In my opinion, it got made bigger than it was. I don’t think he attacked anyone.”

Advertisement

Pressed on why so many players had ‘liked’ Salah’s Instagram post, Wirtz said: “With the ‘likes’ players gave, I think it was made too big. For me, it was just a thing that he wanted to say because he’s leaving. He wanted to make everyone in the club alert that we have to work more and do better.

“We are all anything but happy with this season. I think we can still make a little bit out of it by qualifying for the Champions League on Sunday. We have to do that. Then in the summer, we need to clear our heads and attack next season, because we have a very good squad and we can do much better.”

Wirtz also rejected the idea of internal division: “The outside world is always trying to create something between the team and the manager,” Wirtz added. “But it’s totally different in this building. We are working well every day with this manager and his staff. There is no thought about not being behind the manager. This is just something [talked about] on the outside.”

Reports in the media have repeatedly debated Arne Slot’s future, but substantial coverage has concluded he will remain. Liverpool are reportedly set to reunite Slot with his former set-piece coach Etiënne Reijnen, who has told colleagues at Feyenoord he will join ahead of the 2026–27 season. Reijnen, who played alongside Slot at PEC Zwolle and later coached at Feyenoord, helped his side concede just 17 goals from dead balls across three seasons, the best record in the division. Only PSV have scored more from set pieces over the same period.

Advertisement

Bournemouth

Where Marcos Senesi Could Fit: Five Premier League Suitors

Senesi will be a free agent on June 30; his experience and low cost interest several top clubs also.

Published

on

Marcos Senesi will be available on June 30 when his Bournemouth contract expires, and his free agent status makes him an efficient short-term option for clubs seeking defensive depth. The 28-year-old joined England in 2022 following Bournemouth’s promotion and has spent four seasons with the Cherries. Aside from a major hamstring injury that restricted him to 17 Premier League appearances last season, Senesi has generally been a regular starter and has played almost every minute so far in 2025–26.

Senesi’s record in England shows a player capable of surviving the demands of the Premier League. He is not presented as an elite defender but as a dependable squad member whose availability without a transfer fee is attractive to higher-table teams mindful of budgets.

Liverpool could view him as a cost-effective reinforcement. The 2025–26 campaign exposed limitations in centre-back depth at Anfield, and Senesi would be a less expensive alternative to triggering a reported $94.4 million (£69.6 million, €80 million) buy-back clause for Jarell Quansah. He is known to Arne Slot, having played under Slot at Feyenoord in 2021–22, when he made 50 appearances and helped the Dutch club reach the UEFA Conference League final.

Manchester United have reduced centre-back requirements by switching back to a 4-2-3-1 from Ruben Amorim’s 3-4-2-1, yet persistent injuries to Lisandro Martínez and Matthijs de Ligt, the latter sidelined for the past four months, create uncertainty over numbers. When fit, Martínez and De Ligt, or Martínez and Harry Maguire, will start. Senesi could be a pragmatic free signing while resources are prioritised for two or more central midfield additions. There’s even a chance that Andoni Iraola ends up at Old Trafford in time for next season.

Advertisement

At Chelsea, a 28-year-old Senesi would arrive as one of the more experienced figures in an otherwise young defensive group. Chelsea expect to challenge for Premier League and Champions League honours, and there are question marks over Wesley Fofana, Tosin Adarabioyo and Benoît Badiashile, who have been prone to costly mistakes. Trevoh Chalobah often operates alone, while Mamadou Sarr and Josh Acheampong have a combined age of 39 and remain very raw. Senesi’s experience and availability would therefore be of clear appeal.

Continue Reading

Feyenoord

Raheem Sterling signs short-term Feyenoord contract to rebuild career

Raheem Sterling joins Feyenoord on a short-term deal as he seeks to revive his stalled career today.

Published

on

Raheem Sterling has ended a brief spell as a free agent by signing with Feyenoord until the end of the season. The move follows a difficult period in England that included a failed loan at Arsenal last season and no competitive appearances so far this term.

Sterling has been training with Chelsea’s U21s in recent months and will need time to regain full match sharpness. The 31-year-old’s reputation suffered after his move from Manchester City to Chelsea in 2022, and his record at Stamford Bridge — 19 goals in 81 appearances — underlined the struggles he experienced in west London.

His loan at Arsenal did little to reverse that slide. He registered just a single goal in 28 appearances while seldom used by Mikel Arteta, and the short-term move to the Netherlands represents a fresh path.

“As a free agent, I’ve had, for the first time in a long time, the opportunity to control the next step,” said the England international on completion of his Feyenoord switch. “In my career. I wanted to take my time to speak with clubs and their head coaches to better understand the role they envisioned for me and ensure that I can add real value in this next chapter.

Advertisement

“Having spoken in great detail with Robin [van Persie], I’m confident that Feyenoord is a place I can be happy and establish myself as a valued member of the team. Playing abroad is a whole new challenge for me—and one I’m ready to embrace. Honestly, I’m just excited to get started.”

At Feyenoord he will work under Robin van Persie, the ex-Manchester United and Arsenal striker, and the move offers Sterling a chance to reinvigorate a career that has dipped in recent seasons. Away from the intense scrutiny of the English media, he can attempt to rediscover form in the Eredivisie and potentially benefit from a slightly reduced standard of competition.

Reports suggested Sterling had preferred to remain living in London for family reasons, and BBC Sport said 18 clubs across England and Europe showed interest before he opted for Feyenoord.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending